The W. Allen Cobb Judicial Annex was originally constructed in 2002; its sits in the historic courthouse square in downtown Wilmington beside the 1892 Queen Anne Courthouse and connects to the 1925 Neoclassical Revival Courthouse Annex. Bordeaux Construction was contracted to address the significant structural and quality issues with the Annex.
The work includes removing and replacing the exterior cast stone and masonry veneer, windows, and sheathing and insulation. Structural improvements required the structural concrete masonry units to be hollowed out at the stair and elevator towers in order to add additional steel reinforcing. A fluid-applied air barrier is applied prior to the replacement of the façade to ensure water tightness. The confines of the site coupled with the building being fully occupied with court schedules required great care to ensure New Hanover County could maintain court schedules seamlessly.
Contract Amount: $2.4 Million
Scheduled Completion – September, 2015